Apple computers within the GMIT Jamf Service already have the VPN configured, so you will just need to enter your Remote Access Account details. For full information on the VPN Configuration, including comprehensive step-by-step instructions, please visit the dedicated macOS page on the IT Services website.
Please follow these steps:
- select Network
- in the Network window select the plus sign (+)
3. enter the following information:
- interface: VPN
- VPN Type: Cisco IPsec
- service name: Oxford University VPN
4. click on Create - you will now return to the Network Window
5. configure the following options:
- server address: vpn.ox.ac.uk
- account name: Remote Access Username eg exet2600
- password: Remote Access Password
6. select Authentication Settings and enter the following details:
- shared secret: see box below
- certificate: leave unchecked
- group name: oxford
Oxford University Shared Secret
The Oxford University Shared Secret is available to download for members of the University of Oxford, but cannot be disclosed on this document. Please visit the IT Services Self-Registration Software Registration and Downloads web page.
Once on this page select VPN client from the list, and on the next page select VPN shared credentials. A window containing the information should now pop up on your desktop - Make a note of the IPsec secret as you will need this information as the shared secret.
7. select OK and you will return to the Network window - if you are likely to use the VPN client regularly you may want to select Show VPN status in menu bar to track your connection.
8. Finally, click the Apply button to complete the configuration for this new VPN interface. The interface will now appear in the left hand pane indicated by a locked padlock icon.
Once you have configured a network interface on your Mac to connect to the IT Services VPN service you can make a VPN connection whenever you need to.
To connect via the inbuilt client:
- open System Preferences
- click the Network icon to switch to the Network window
- select the VPN connection you configured previously
- click on the Connect button (found underneath ‘Authentication Settings’) Alternatively, if you chose to include the status of the VPN connection in your menu bar during the configuration process you can connect and disconnect using the VPN icon in the top menu bar.